Robynne's Nest

Just a place for this SAHM to record her thoughts, ramblings, and daily occurrences.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Missouri, United States

I'm a SAHM to SIX children, 3 of each model. The girls are currently ages 15, 12 and 7, and the boys are 9, 6, and 4. I enjoy many crafts, but my main interest is crocheting and knitting. I also enjoy music, both listening to and playing. I'm in the church bell choir, and I've played french horn for over 25 years. I currently play in a couple community concert bands, and I play throughout the year in church. My husband and I were married in the fall of 2004, and we are currently owned by 3 cats and 1 dog.

Monday, May 31, 2010

3 year olds do have their good moments...

I've mentioned before how much 3 year olds and I just don't get along. I've had three other 3 year olds of my own before now, and am now on my 4th 3 year old. Add in my nephews and neice, and that adds another six 3 year olds I've personally dealt with (my neice is still 3 right now.) It's just that one age (so far) that frustrates me the most.
So, my current little 3 year old, while still proving daily why it is that I have issues with this age, has also managed to remind me this weekend why 3 year olds are wonderful, as well.
We spent yesterday with family, having a barbeque and playing with cousins. We set up some sprinklers and the slip-n-slide for the kids to cool off with and enjoy. After our outside fun, as we were drying off and changing, my enthusiastic 3 year old tells me..."Mommy, that was SO. MUCH. FUN!!!" All smiles and excitement, and you just know this is what being a kid is all about. :)
Later in the evening, I finished up a bassinet purse toy I've been working on all week, that she knows I've been making for her. She has been wanting to carry it around and play with it for the past few days, as it has been looking almost finished, but I was finishing up the last stitches and edgings. Finally, last night, I called her over to me, and held out the purse. Her eyes got huge, and she said "OH!!!! OH! Is it FINISHED? Oh, THANK you Mommy! I LOVE it!!" It's hard to express in writing the pure joy and enthusiasm she had in those words. She actually had tears in her eyes, she was so happy. It was worth every second I put into crocheting the thing for her. (This is where we will skip the part when, after that, every time I tried to show her how to make it into a BED for her baby doll, she shrieked at me, because I know it was late, she'd had no nap, and was quite tired...!)
Now today...one more moment of just how awesome and full of joy a 3 year old can be. Mandy has inherited a few of her sister's old dance recital costumes and loves to dress up in them. One she uses a lot had needed to be soaked and cleaned (cats...don't ask...blah) and I'd had to tell her a few times it was still hanging and not dry yet. This morning, she saw it in the bathroom and asked, and yes it's dry...my enthusiastic little 3 year old's face lit up with excitement again "Oh, Mommy! Is it dry now? Can I put it on again?!" Yes...and we put it on her...and then I got the BEST response of the week...she looked right at me and said, "Mommy...YOU'RE the BEST!!!" Awwww...sniffle...
Sooooo worth it, and hopefully I'll remember these little things whenever the day is dominated by shrieks and "no" and that belligerent defiance so common with all the 3 year olds I've known.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home